Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Making something happen!


"When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
I don't want to be one of those people who wonders what happened. I've been thinking a lot about my job and my future. I hate that I spent so much time going to school to get a degree and pretty much I'm a glorified secretary. I want to do something I really enjoy.


Lately I've been thinking about what I really enjoy. It's obviously not PR, sadly, considering that's what I have a degree in. But I really like to design things, be creative and work on computers. So I think I would really enjoy digital designing. I would love to sell my own wedding invitations, baby announcements, shower invites, birthday party invite and more! I have already done this to a degree, but they weren't very good because I don't have the proper training or software. And maybe I won't necessarily narrow it down to such a specific thing but I want to be able to design something and be able to make money off of it. I once heard that good graphic design is the difference between Target and Wal-Mart--so true!

I've set a goal for myself. And I'm posting this goal on my blog because I think if I say it out loud and let all of you read it I will be more motivated to actually follow through with it. I'm going to save enough money so by the end of the summer I can purchase photoshop (and maybe a laptop), have taken at least one graphic design class and have something posted on the internet for people to purchase. I think this would also be a great thing to do if I ever become a mom and want to work from home.

So there you have it folks...there are my raw feelings just put out there for all of you to know. I usually never do anything about the dreams I have. This time I really want to do this. I don't know if designing invitations is a dream of mine, but having a job where I can raise my family, be creative, happy and still help bring in income is a dream of mine.

So here goes nothing...

(all support welcome)

4 comments:

Emily and Trent said...

Erica-it's so good to hear from you. It looks like you guys are doing well. I love Denver and you aren't too far from my hometown of Cheyenne! What else are you guys up to?

Madsens said...

Oh my gosh, that is perfect for your Erica! I can't wait to see it come around...step by step. You know you can get photoshop from the bookstore here in Logan for the student price of like $200?? That beats the $600 that it normally sells for. However, I haven't really done alot of research as to what type of version it would be and what it lacks to the real version of the photoshop...but it can't be that different.

Anyway, I am excited for you - it is always fun to realize new things about yourself and scary to share. good luck!

kcjaques said...

Get photoshop CS3. That one is the newest and the best. Good luck on your new venture. Nothing but the best for you!!

Karen said...

SWEET!!! I support 100% in this. I think you will do great at it!! And when and IF i get married, you can design my invitations!! :-) Let me know if I can help in anyway!