Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the sky is falling

I try not to listen to the news too much when they talk about a recession or the economy because I start getting freaked out and my mind thinks about the worst case scenarios. But I couldn't help it when this cleverly headlined article "What if gas cost $10 a gallon" was on my home page this morning. What if gas is $10/gal with in the next few years?!?!?! In the article is says, "In four years, U.S. gas prices have doubled to more than $3.70 a gallon." YIKES! I didn't realize it has rised that much in such a short time!!! I know I could ride my bike (as Wayne Turnbow would suggest), which I just realized I don't have, or take the bus. The bus is a nice "idea" because I have a free bus pass through my work. But I looked it up the other day and I will have to leave work an hour early, and get off and on the bus five times and have to walk a ton. Blaine might be the only one who can really testify to this but I don't do mornings and I don't do them on time! So anything that will cause me to get up earlier and force me to think more is not something I would like to participate in! But I might get desperate come mid-summer when my rent is cheaper than a full tank!

Then the article goes on to say how truckers will be bankrupt, no one will be able to afford to fly...and what about food?!?! I know all you lovely/worthy Mormons out there will reply, well sweet Sister Turnbow that is what food storage is for ((sweet molly Mormon voice))! Well NEWS FLASH, that is not a strength of mine or Blaine's. I think our food storage consists of four cans of chili and that's only because Rachel told me there was a sale and Blaine won't really eat it!

So what are we going to do when the sky starts falling and the world comes to an end? See...this is why I don't read/listen to these kinds of things I just freak out! Can anyone reassure me that I will live to see my kids graduate from high school?!? haha

But seriously...

4 comments:

emilyhutchison said...

You probably won't see your kids graduate from high school. I probably won't even be married by the time the world ends, but it's cool becuase that means it's the millenium and we won't even have to pay for gas. Plus during the millenium all animals get along, which means we can have any kind of pets we want. I'm getting a zebra.

Karen said...

Im with you! On all of it. I do not allow myself to watch the news anymore...

Marques said...

No need to fear, Erica. Worst case scenarios never come to fruition. This just goes to show that we need to expand our alternative and nuclear energy portfolios, and construct more refineries. Unfortunately, the Dems and environmentalists won't let us. Plus, if Clinton hadn't vetoed the ANWR drilling bill in the 90s, we would have a substantially different cost at the pump.

PLUS, the economy is more resilient than most in the media give it credit. It will be fine.

erica said...

oh thanks marques that the reassurance I was looking for!