Friday, June 13, 2008

freaky friday

Lock the doors, don't leave your house it's...FRIDAY THE 13th!

Well if you're like me you actually enjoy Friday the 13th and find it to be a lucky day. In reality you more than likely don't, seeing as how this day is one of the largest held superstitions in America. Some people actually have a fear of Friday the 13th called paraskavedekatriaphobia (i think I have a fear of saying that word out loud!) "It's been estimated that [US]$800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day" because people won't travel, purchase things or leave their house all together! ["Friday the 13th Phobia Rooted in Ancient History", National Geographic News, August 12, 2004]

So why did people pick this day out of all the 365 to be the unluckiest?!? This superstition didn't start by a modern day email chain or a scary self made You Tube video...this century old superstitions stems back to the biblical days. It is thought by some to derive from the Last Supper, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners. In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve recognized signs of the zodiac, the twelve tribes of Israel, the twelve Apostles of Jesus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. ["Friday the 13th Phobia Rooted in Ancient History", National Geographic News, August 12, 2004]

At this point you are probably asking yourselves after all that how could I love such a day? Well I was born on Friday the 13th, of course! :) That's right my mom's bad luck turned into good when I graced this earth with my presence on Friday, July 13, 1984! Ever since I've loved Friday the 13th! The best is when my birthday actually falls on a Friday!

So for all you paraskavedekatriaphobiacs out there...get over it, today is AWESOME! Go break a mirror, walk under a ladder or even pass a black cat, go ahead I promise you will be just fine!

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!

2 comments:

Morgielouwho said...

HEY!!! How did you find me in this wide world of Blogging? I'm, Glad you did!!! I did some blog stalking myself and found out Nat is Prego!!! Crazy its just been too long. I'm so bad at keeping in touch.

Madsens said...

That means ben and i got married on your birthday!! We were married last year on July 13th...which just so happened to be a FREAKY FRIDAY the 13th!!! awesome!

ps. nikki said she still has your number, but we are planning the water park this friday ALL day!! if you still want to come, let me know and i will have nikki get in touch with you.