Sunday, August 3, 2008

we've been here one year!

Yup, that's right we've lived in Colorado for one year now! I feel old saying this...but the time really did fly by and I can't believe it's already been a year! So much has changed since this time last year.

Beginning of last summer Blaine and I were at a crossroad in our life. Our lease would be up soon on our townhouse, we both weren't happy in our jobs, and while Logan is a great place it didn't have much to offer us at the time. We knew we had to move but the "where" was the hard part. We talked about Salt Lake because Blaine could get a promotion and there were more job opportunities for me down there. We also had the option of moving to Colorado to be closer to Blaine's family and to start a new company with his Dad. Both had their ups and downs, we prayed for months to figure out what to do...and yet we still felt confused. We finally decided to move to Denver to be closer to family and for Blaine to start the new business.

I've moved a lot in my life but this move was different. It seemed like the move to Colorado was my first "adult" move. Even after Blaine and I got married I still felt like I was holding on to a piece of my youth by living in Logan. My college friends were still there, I still went to school and I still worked at ICON...not much had changed after the I do's. But then we moved to Colorado and everything changed. For the first time in my life I felt like I didn't have any friends, it was really hard to find a job, I was constantly lost because of all the same named streets and one ways and we ended up living with Blaine's parents for several months (with constant reminders, "oh you still live with your parents huh!"). It seemed like our life was going backwards instead of forwards. But to quote my grandma (aka Muttie), quoting our Heavenly Father, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." And so it was! I actually really liked living with Blaine's parents and got to know them on a whole new level--we are so grateful for all they did for us when we moved here. I've become really close to all of Blaine's family and it's such a bigger blessing then I ever would have imagined to have family that loves you close by. Blaine's business is starting to take off, and what a difference it is to have him doing something he loves and is passionate about. For the most part and I can find my way around Denver...at least to all the major shopping centers ;). While the friend department is still a little bare, I think it has forced Blaine and I to rely more on each other and has strengthen our marriage.

So while sometimes I step back and think it's crazy that I live here in Colorado and I miss my friends terribly, I've really come to like it here. I still miss a lot of things about Utah but I know we are where we're supposed to be.

Here is our Colorado Year in Review!


3 comments:

erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Frandsens said...

I can't believe its been a year already! I'm glad things are going good for you guys there ~ sad that we see you more now that you live there than we saw you when you lived in Utah!
LOVE YOU!!

Chana & Fred said...

I can't believe you've already been there a year! That's nuts! I'm still in Logan. We're so ready to get out of here...nope a year and a half left and then we're outta here!

Who knows maybe we'll be your friends in CO next year!