Wednesday, May 13, 2009

who doesn't love a good before and after!

I've slowly been trying to improve my craft room/office. It's one of the last rooms in our place that needs some decor help. I've managed to decide on a color scheme, buy a new desk and book shelf, but the existing lamp just wasn't going along with my vision.
I looked and looked for a cute, bright lamp shade and hated everything I saw! Why are patterned lamp shades non-existent or $500? (Target really needs to step up their game and get some cuter lamp shades). Since I hadn't found anything I thought how hard would it be to just make one?!?! The thing is I always say this to myself and it turns out to be a bigger project than intended. But this one actually turned out to be kind of easy

I bought a plain lampshade-don't mind the messy craft table, I'm just a messy crafter! And as Blaine will probably tell you just a messy girl in general...but I digress...
I bought two place mats from Pier 1.I took out the seam because they were too thick the way they were and just used one side of the mat. I traced the lamp, sewed the fabric together and hot clued it to the lampshade. (Sorry I didn't really take step by step pics!) And that's it. It was actually easier than I thought and I'm pretty pleased with the end result. I do need to put some trim on the inside because it looks a little unfinished but that will probably never happen.

Now I need to make one for my bedroom since a cute yellow lampshade is impossible to find!

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a cute lamp! You are sooooooo crafty! I am jealous!

Chana said...

Can we be neighbors and craft buddies? You amaze me!

Sayward said...

GREAT JOB! This looks awesome E!
Glad we are friends

A "cheery" disposition said...

love it!

The Hill Fivesome said...

You crafty person you. Such talent. I'm jealous