Thursday, June 25, 2009

4th of july pinwheel wreath

Isn't it cute? Don't you just love the 4th of July? Last night Blaine's mom, sister and I got together for a little craft, our pinwheel wreath.

They are really easy to make (if you aren't me) here are the steps:
  • Buy the right size straw wreath (I struggled with this but I think it turned out okay). The one pictured is an 18" wreath
  • Wrap it with coordinating ribbon, but make sure you buy enough to go around the whole wreath...yeah I didn't buy NEARLY enough ribbon good thing Marilyn has a stock of ribbon. We made Rachel do this step
  • Find really cute double-sided 4th of July paper. I messed this one up at first but then redeemed myself by finding cute paper at Michael's and took the ugly paper back
  • Cut the paper into fours (6"x6")
  • Cut each corner of the paper towards the center of the square but not all the way through (delegate this step to your mother-in-law)
  • Fold alternating corners into the middle of the square and secure with a hot glue gun. Again this was a hard step for me and I kept gluing down the wrong corners!!!
  • Once all the pinwheels are made secure them to your wreath with upholstery pins and voila you have the perfect 4th of July wreath

I promise this is not a hard craft, I'm just struggling with simple tasks lately!

7 comments:

Bryan + Juli said...

Ooo cute! I might need to attempt this one!!

Phaedra said...

So cute! I am artistically challenged but I think I might be able to do this- about how much paper would you suggest I get? BTW what do you think of the Jazz draft pick? I was hoping for Tyler Hansbrough!!

Marques said...

Wow, you do love the 4th. :)

Just Julie said...

The Fourth is my favorite holiday too!! Definitely making this totally awesome wreath. Thanks!!

erica said...

Phaedra-you need 3 whole sheets of scrapbook paper (cut it in 4's). Since I did it with two other people we were able to buy lots of different patterns and split it between the two of us. Good luck!

As for the Jazz pick...I don't know. I don't put too much stock into the draft, because even the number one picks don't always perform as expected. But I am excited for a new season!

Karen said...

WAY CUTE!!! :) I miss craft nights!!

Phaedra said...

Erica! We did it! I had craft night at my house and Emily and Julie made one with me! We used smaller wreaths than you so we cut the squares to 4X4 inches (I think we had the same paper as you!) but I think they turned out really cute. You can see pics on my blog: phaedraj.blogspot.com or I am pretty sure Julie will post too! Thanks for the idea!!!!!