Wednesday, December 15, 2010

ol' bessy is dried up!

That's right I'm talking about breastfeeding by referencing myself to a cow! When I first started nursing that's what I felt like, a dairy cow. I was feeding Kash every 2-3 hours around the clock. No breaks! I felt like my sole purpose in life at that time was to feed my baby, and it was!

Then after 6 weeks I had to go back to work, and thus the pumping started. I quickly learned that the need to pump (or nurse) was no longer determined by a crying, hungry baby—my pumping schedule was now dictated by my work load. There were often times where I would have to miss a “pump break” because I was in a meeting or I was swamped with a project. Which resulted in feeling like my boobs were going to explode…oh too much info, okay sorry!

My goal was to nurse for 12 months. After the first month of working full time and pumping I was about to give up that goal. But the adorable little boy I’d come home to every night was motivation enough to give him the very best and stick it out. So day in and day out I pumped in the bathroom at work. Sometimes I would forget my pump at home and Blaine would bring it to me. Sometimes I would drop my milk in the middle of the street and someone would run over it. Sometimes I would knock over a bottle and milk (aka liquid gold) would be all over the place. One time I had to go to a training and the only place to pump was in a control room. But I couldn’t turn the light on otherwise people would see me through the window. So, sometimes I would pump on a weird, dark floor! Haha. Oh and sometimes I would forget to lock the door to the bathroom and people would walk in on me. Or there were those times that I would be in the middle of pumping and my coworkers would stand outside of the bathroom asking if I could hurry up because they needed my help in the office. Haha

These stories are all, like they say, funny now but at the time weren’t so hilarious. It was a lot of work to nurse for 11 months, but now today I decided I’m done. The amount of work put in throughout the day and the end results just aren’t adding up anymore (I’m only getting one bottle a day now and clearly Kash drinks more than that!). Part of me is sad. I feel like crying actually. My little baby is no longer a baby. He doesn’t rely on me as much. Heck he’s a toddler in my eyes. While I hated pumping, I really did enjoy nursing. I’m glad that Kash caught on and that I was able to nurse him when I was with him. I’m grateful that using a bottle during the day and then nursing at night was never a problem for him.

This post was probably inappropriate and awkward, and yeah I’m totally tooting my own horn…but I feel like I deserve to brag for a minute.  But also I’m sure there are other moms out there that can relate to the antics that sometimes occur when nursing/pumping!  Oh the things we do for our children, right?!

7 comments:

t & e said...

E-you are totally awesome for sticking it out and pumping at work because pumping is SO NOT FUN. I was laughing so hard at all your pumping mishaps but totally understanding how you feel. You are the best mom for doing that for him!

The Lotts said...

Nursing really is such a sacrifice and can only be done for selfless reasons. That's awesome that you pumped for 11 months! You definitely deserve an award.

Luke and Mary said...

Liquid gold. That is the very best way to describe it. Good job... i barely lasted 8 months. My kids just don't like it much :( it's kinda sad.

Jason and Joy said...

Yes way to go Erica! Thank you for this post...I think it was for me, so that I will keep going - we are struggling over here - But I am going to do it!!!!

Andrea said...

Way to go, Erica! It certainly is a labor of love.

Julianne Dewey said...

I'm glad you posted this because really you do deserve to brag and it's inspiration for other moms (aka me in 10 days or less) to just keep breast feeding eventhough it's tough. Job well done friend!

Luke and Katie said...

i almost started crying reading this!! i weaned mac a few days ago and i really miss it! Good for you for sticking to it so long!