Saturday, May 7, 2011

being a mother


I've never felt more like a daughter of God until the day I had Kash.  I don't know if it's because babies just have such a strong sweet spirit about them, if it's because I strive to be better so that he has a good example, or simply the fact that I pray more often for guidance so I don't mess him up!  Whatever it may be not only does Kash bring a special energy and joy to our house but becoming a mom has also allowed me to become closer to my Heavenly Father.

I love that quote by President Hinckley (don't you just miss him), it's so true.  It's such a great reminder of what's important in life.  When the stresses of day to day tasks can consume us it's nice to think of our purpose and focusing our efforts on raising our children.

Parenthood, for me, hasn't gone by with out a healthy does of humble pie though.  I'm not the perfect mom I always dreamed I would be.  You know the one who's child never throws a fit in a store,  never hits you in the face, never screams for no reason...oh no not me! ha!  There are some nights after Kash is asleep where I think wow I could have handled that situation with a little more patience, or maybe I shouldn't have let him eat that, or do that, or I could have played with him more, etc..

But then I hear quotes like this:


"Life’s journeys can have many ups and downs. Yes, there will be days when you will feel the going is tough. But as you stay on the right path, the reward at the end of life’s journey is well worth the moments of adversity you experience along the way."-Elder Ben B. Banks


...and I remember that in between the refusals to eat dinner and the hugs, that motherhood is a journey.  That by giving my child the best, mixed in with a few not so best days, that I will be rewarded in the end when I see my beautiful baby boy grow up to be an amazing person.

So thank you to Kash on this mother's day for making me a mom.  I know that I was put on this Earth to be a mom, through the good times and the hard.  And there's nothing more rewarding than being Kash's mom!

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this post. Your words and the words from the prophet are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Jason and Joy said...

Thanks Erica! I also love this post- you are an amazing Mom and Kash is so lucky to have YOU as his mom. Love you!