Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jesus wants me? for a sunbeam

That's right folks my new calling is a Sunbeam teacher!  I've always wanted to be in the primary but actually felt a little overwhelmed when they asked me if I would accept.  Of course I would but in the back of my head I was thinking, "Oh my gosh I don't even know what they do in primary.  How old are Sunbeams?  Why am I excited?" ha  You see I never really went to primary.  I mean from time to time Muttie would make me go (aka show up at my house and say I'm taking you to church...that's why I love her!) and it was so infrequent that each time I went was like the first day of school, awkward and scary.  One of my only memories is standing at the pulpit in front of the congregation for the primary program (why they gave me, an inactive child, a speaking part I'll never understand) and freaking out so much that instead of reading my one line I just started crying and ran off of the stage!  Poor 6 year old me! ha

Luckily my new calling hasn't gone that wrong...yet.  I actually love it!  It's my favorite calling I've ever had...who thought I'd ever love a calling? haha just kidding.  I love being with the kids, I love sharing time and singing time (I'll finally know more than 3 primary songs!), and I love preparing the lessons.

Anyway I figured well if I'm in primary then I better get a "church bag", I mean that's what all of the other primary leaders have :)  Okay so I'll make any excuse to get a new bag.  I looked on etsy and there were some cute bags but I couldn't seem to justify the prices.  So I made my own.  I saw a print with "search, ponder and pray" on it a few weeks ago and it inspired me to make this.  Hopefully the artist doesn't mind I totally copied her design, but I'm not reselling it, is that okay?

I just bought one of those cheap canvas bags from Michael's, covered the handles with some fabric from Hobby Lobby and created the yellow design in Illustrator and printed it on iron-on transfer paper.  It was actually pretty easy and I love it.  Sad thing is I don't think it's big enough and I'm probably going to have to upgrade, but it does the trick for now.

Oh and by the way this new calling means that Blaine has to endure the last few months with Kash for the last two hours of church before he "qualifies" for nursery!  Not gonna lie I'm not crying over that one.  Good luck Blaine!

6 comments:

Marques said...

I hear you 100% on this one. I was called as a primary teacher of the 5-7 year old class recently. I, too, had to bring a bag to church and everything. When I got it, I was filling it up and said something like, "And I'll put my lesson book here, and some candy here, and the stickers go here." At this point, Brooke busts out laughing wondering who this person is.

Needless to say, it has been my favorite calling ever. Unfortunately, we were recently realigned, so I don't have that calling anymore. :( Love the primary.

SassAFrass said...

Awesome new calling. Like all things you will do great at it. PS I love that you had to make a bag for it and I LOVE how it turned out. You are so creative it makes me sick!!! :) But in a good way of course. Good luck taking care of Kash Blaine!

Amanda said...

My three older kids have had the best sunbeam teachers. I know that you will be great at this calling. I too enjoy having an excuse to get a new bag. I have had about 4 different bags that I use for my callings. You have to have one that hold all of your stuff that keeps growing. I loved your bag and the saying.

Rachel Smith Photography said...

Nice... the calling you love is the one that would send me running out of the church crying! Poor 28 year old me...no good with kids!

The McLane Blog Page: said...

I'm Sunbeam teacher and I think it's the best calling in the world. I talk about it much becasue I don't want anyone to take it away from me! :) it's awesome!
PS- Adorable bag, but I expect that from you :) you're adorable:)

Melissa said...

Is there any way you could pass on your file for that?? Or are trying to be good and not give it away:) Just wondering, I would love to do the same. Just let me know!