Wednesday, November 16, 2011

halloween


I've kind of been putting this post off and it was actually Halloween that inspired the previous post.  I didn't exactly have the best Halloween.  I put too much pressure on myself to make every holiday perfect!  I start planning for holidays about 3+ months in advance and this Halloween was no exception.  This year I went to a million stores shopping for the perfect pieces for Kash's costume, I searched the internet for hours looking for ideas and then another few hours making his costume.  So when things don't go perfect I'm naturally disappointed. I don't know why I do this to myself but I've been doing it a lot lately in all aspects of my life and then I don't live up to my unrealistic expectations and get so upset.

But it was a good lesson for me to realize that I need to live more in the moment with Kash and not get so frustrated with him.  It's okay if he doesn't want to sit still and smile for the "perfect Halloween picture" and it's okay if he gets tired and cranky (I mean he's only one for heaven's sake) and it's okay if Blaine has to work because he's doing it for us...it's okay if everything doesn't play out as I had perfectly planned in my head.
Every time we tried to take his picture you would have thought someone said he could never watch Mickey Mouse again!
I felt like a really bad mom and that I put too much stress on everyone.  But I'm just a mom-in-training and learning as I go. I was so glad my mom was here to help keep Kash as happy as possible and to give me a break when I needed it!
Kash really loved having my mom here and even dubbed her with nickname "Mama Shell"!  And of course my mom loved every minute too.

Kash did enjoy "carving" pumpkins at Grandma and Grandpa Turnbow's house though. He thought it was fun to scoop out a pumpkin that Aunt Karen had already cleaned out and pretend to throw the seeds in the trash. 

But I think Kash's favorite part of this holiday was handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters.  He would get so excited every time the doorbell would ring.  Although if it was someone his age at the door he wouldn't give them any candy...I guess he was a little envious that they were out trick-or-treating and he wasn't?  Kash was also very very wild this night and hasn't been the same since Halloween haha.  He was running around the house like a wild child, just yelling and laughing, he would put his head on the floor and push it a long until he would run into a wall and wouldn't sit still to save his life, and he only had two pieces of candy!  

This happened to be my favorite night too.  I loved that we got so many trick-or-treaters and that Kash had fun.  My mom ran and got us Chipotle and we just stayed in and had a fun relaxing night.  I definitely learned that I need to be more relaxed around the holidays and not put so much pressure on myself. Hopefully Christmas will go better :)

2 comments:

SassAFrass said...

Love that crazy boy of yours. :)

Brooke said...

I loved this. I too am a mom in training and learned my lesson when I didn't finish Olivia's costume before heading west for the holiday, and finally throwing my hands in the air. We didn't even go trick or treating. And she slept through carving pumpkins. And hated the pumpkin patch.

One thing at a time I guess!