Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I do it mom

Thank goodness for natural development.  I never really know when the right stage/age is to start letting Kash do things on his own.  But Kash knows.  He's always telling me I do it mom.  My independent two year old loves to climb in and out of his car seat all by himself, buckle the top buckle on the seat I do the top mom, you do the bottom, sets the table for dinner (place mats and silverware), starts the dishwasher all by himself and insists on getting on and off the toilet BY HIMSELF!

The one thing I wasn't ready for him to be so independent about was sleeping in his "big boy" bed.  A few weeks ago my mom came out and helped us get the nursery ready for the new baby and transition Kash's room into a big boy room.

I kept dreading Kash sleeping in a bed where he could get out and do anything but sleep, and that's as far as my thoughts took me.  I was eager to have my mom there and the extra motivation she would provide to get those two rooms put together.  What I wasn't expecting is to be sitting on Kash's floor putting his bed together and look over at my "big boy" and realize he wasn't a baby anymore...and to start bawling.  My mom came back in the room and I tried to hide my emotions but Kash told grandma Shelley that I was sad, thanks ya little nark! ha.  The rest of the day I couldn't handle the emotions that came over me. I was folding Kash's freshly washed 0-3 month clothes and hanging them in the baby's room when again the tears just kept coming.  I remembered the first time Kash wore each outfit.  I remembered how small and sweet he was and how much he depended on me.  I thought about how I can never go back to that newborn stage, it was just gone forever. I remembered how our whole life changed once we brought that little baby boy home...how the first night was hard, how he was such a good sleeper, how he didn't have hardly any hair, how fat he was, how he hated his swing but loved his bouncer, how I was scared to death to be a mom but somehow it was so easy to love that little baby.  And there he sat in the other room with a screwdriver in his hand helping Grandma Shelley with his big boy room.

And you know what made things ten times harder...Kash had NO problem sleeping in his new bed.  He climbed right in at night and that was it, no looking back for him.  He takes naps great in there and sleeps just like he was sleeping in his crib.  Turns out transitions are just hard on this little momma because Blaine could have cared less as well.  Oh life with all boys...

The next day I walked into the new nursery and saw all of the baby clothes hanging in the closet, the rocker ready for late night feedings and the swing (useless I'm sure) ready to rock a newborn.  And it got me excited.  I liked the idea of being able to start over, maybe do some things different, but mostly enjoy every minute of that newborn stage, my favorite.

Anyone else have such a hard time giving your old baby's things to your new baby or am I just ridiculously over emotional?
No matter the size of bed maybe he'll always be my baby?  

4 comments:

Katie said...

I feel for you. It was hard for me too...our babies won't ever be babies again.
But I think the transitions got a bit easier with #2 and #3. Sooo...I guess you'll have to have another one :)

our little family said...

Oh I am totally relating to this post. I cry just thinking about moving mya to a completely new room down the hall ( ok crying right now) and putting her in a big girl bed. I haven't gotten clothes out so I'm sure I'll cry then too, oh boy! Glad kash does so well in his bed and you don't have to put him back a million times:)

SassAFrass said...

Glad Kash made the transition easier for you. Maybe a little TOO easy... but at least you know he adapts well. Pretty soon you will have a new little newborn in your arms and he will be the same and totally different all rolled up into some chub.Can't wait to see him. Don't worry, I already cry when I think of Ascher outgrowing his chubby checks and diapers and crib. I know I will miss him being my little baby and little toddler.

SassAFrass said...

Glad Kash made the transition easier for you. Maybe a little TOO easy... but at least you know he adapts well. Pretty soon you will have a new little newborn in your arms and he will be the same and totally different all rolled up into some chub.Can't wait to see him. Don't worry, I already cry when I think of Ascher outgrowing his chubby checks and diapers and crib. I know I will miss him being my little baby and little toddler.