Monday, July 9, 2012

the fourth



The fourth of July was a little different for us this year.  Usually we start the day off bright and early at the famous Turnbow Awful Waffle.  Sadly it was cancelled this year.  I was pretty much heart broken at the news.  I started to get over the fact that we wouldn't have this fun tradition with our family this year and then pretty much the whole state of Colorado announced that they would be cancelling all fireworks this year due to all of the wildfires across the state.  Needless to say I was devastated!  Everything that made the fourth of July special was being cancelled.  I may or may not have shed some tears and been in a bad mood about this for days!

Well this special day turned out to be alright.  We went to our ward breakfast that morning. And then my sweet friend Chelsea knew how much this holiday meant to me and offered up her house and backyard for a BBQ that night.  Really all we were missing that day were the fireworks.  Which I was really sad about because I was excited to watch them with Kash this year.  But looking back and being so pregnant in the hot temps maybe it was a blessing in disguise not to push it and stay up too late.  I already felt like fainting after the breakfast and was soooo ready for bed after the BBQ!   

So it wasn't the 4th of July of my dreams but I tried to have a good attitude, of course put on my best red, white and blue and made the most of all the curve balls that were thrown at me on my favorite day of the year.  And it ended up being pretty fun!  Blaine and I are so glad to have moved into the ward we did and made the friends we have because they totally made this day fun for me!
ward breakfast
water gun fight at the breakfast
awesome BBQ the Rowan's hosted
the festive spread I brought to the BBQ!  I had to do something to cheer myself up :)
(image via instagram) 

3 comments:

Amy said...

love your outfit! great idea for the watermelon! especially for little fingers! :)

Just Julie said...

I love that Blaine has not a shred of red, white OR blue on him.

SassAFrass said...

You looks so pretty and I love the 4th of July outfits. Even Blaines> I am sad about the Awful Waffle being cancelled for ya though. Miss you!