Tuesday, July 3, 2012

rock on

On Sunday Kash woke up a little early from his nap and was ready for us to entertain him.  Unfortunately for Kash playing with his shake cars for the millionth time wasn't very appealing to Blaine or I.  We thought about going on our usual Sunday walk but with the temps being so high and me growing a human we scratched that idea as well.  We needed something to do though, we still had about four more hours before bedtime.  I scanned Pinterest real quick thinking the tons of "101 toddler activities" I had pinned would come in handy.  Well they didn't.  But after looking at a few different blogs I was inspired to paint rocks.  Obviously nothing new but we hadn't done it at our house so it was new to us.


I had paint, brushes and we are so lucky to have a hideous beautiful backyard full of rocks ready for us to paint. The boys gathered the rocks and I gathered the painting supplies.  Being just a few days before the 4th of July I made everyone use red, white and blue.  Only one person complained.

I couldn't believe how long Kash enjoyed this activity.  He painted for almost an hour!  AN HOUR!  I actually had to make him stop because it was time to eat.  I love that he's at an age that painting rocks is a super cool activity.

glitter pens helped him enjoy this activity more

if you know Blaine he's not really down for things like this (I don't think I've ever seen him carve a pumpkin or dye and Easter egg) but I guess we were all just that bored! 

displaying the rocks in our awesome garden. 

Please note Blaine's specific style: "The Half"
If the temperatures stay in the high 90's where it's unbearable for me to go outside we might have a whole yard full of pretty rocks by the end of the summer!

I tried to suggest this as a 4th of July tradition, but that didn't go over very well.  I guess I'm just grasping as straws trying to make up for this joke of a fourth this year!

2 comments:

Karen said...

HAHAHAHA. I can not believe that Blaine even painted! That is awesome!!! :) What cute rocks! :)

SassAFrass said...

Love this idea! Way to make it fun for Kash (and Blaine)
Can't believe Pinterest failed you but at least it inspired you.