Tuesday, March 26, 2013

pep talk

A couple of Sundays ago I spoke in church about the plan of salvation aka the plan of happiness.  My talk reviewed our purpose here on Earth and how even though things can be hard at times we all agreed to come here and it will be worth it in the end.

I also shared a story how lately when I ask Kash to do something and he often responds with, "I can't Mom it's too hard," which I reply, "you can do hard things!"  I just threw this story in my talk at the last minute (Sunday morning to be exact) but it seemed to be the take away message.  I can't believe how many people said that "we can do hard things" really resonated with them.  Even Kash's ultra competitive friend told her mom that Kash can't do hard things but she can...at least she was listening haha!

Now, I've said this before--I'm just a mom who has no idea what I'm doing--but I do know I want my boys to be thoughtful, kind and above all hard working men.  I feel like it took me a long time to realize that I can do hard things.  That this life isn't supposed to be easy, we are supposed to be tried and tested and come out better people from the trials we face.  This is why I have started to tell Kash he can do hard things.  When he is on his own and it's so much easier to give up than face the obstacles in front of him, I want him to remember that he can do hard things.  I know it might be a long shot, but for now I'm drilling this into his brain.

So around our house these days that's our motto.  And every time I say it to Kash it's also a reminder to myself that I CAN DO HARD THINGS too.


And along the lines of pep talks have you seen this video?  Obviously his message is scripted, but either way this kid puts his own flare on it and makes it awesome.  I wish he was my friend, we both love Space Jam and rolling our eyes.


1 comment:

corrine said...

Thank you for that. What a great pep talk.