Friday, June 27, 2008

dog days of summer

I’ve been yearning the past few days to watch shows like The Sandlot and Now and Then so I could live my childhood summers all over again. These movies, for the most part, perfectly depict summer days through a child's eyes. I miss childhood summers. I still get excited for this warm season to come but it seems as the years pass I am always disappointed at the end. And now here I am, sitting at my desk typing away while kids all over America are creating adventure after adventure with their best friends as they play outside in the long summer days. I miss that feeling of friendship that seems to grow stronger in the summer. It’s like you are a part of some kind of club and you and your friends are the only ones that matter! I miss playing outside until 9 o’clock at night. I feel like I’m never outside anymore. I miss being creative; making forts, having bicycle parades or pretending I’m the princess of the world [okay maybe I still do the last one :)]. I miss having the energy of a kid. I miss thinking your friends will always be there no matter what. I miss getting dirty! I remember one summer my friends and I had a huge mud fight. We were covered head to toe with slimy mud and all you could see were the white of our eyes. I miss going to the lake with my parents. I miss our family road trips, our dogs and the feeling of family togetherness. I miss waiting all summer to go to Lagoon, and then being so sad to leave even though I was sleep walking by the end of the day.

Blaine and I really don’t have any big plans this summer. And even if we did it’s just not the same as the carefree days that were once mine as a child. We talk about summer activities but it seems like at the end of the day we are wrapped up with work, church or other things.

Isn't it funny as a kid all you want to do is get bigger, grow old. You count down the days until you are a grown up...and now I would give anything to trade my summer grown up days for a child's.

"Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul."-The Wonder Years

2 comments:

The Frandsens said...

I was just thinking the same thing today. Wishing SO bad to be a little kid...I always watch the little kids in my neighborhood running around and playing - one of these days I might just go join them!

Saydi said...

Hmm interesting. I just blogged(J/k) in my journal about this very thing last night. How great minds think alike. Not sure there was anything earth shattering about those thoughts.. really.. but just the same.