Monday, March 28, 2011

we didn't get any shoes but we met an NBA player

Last Wednesday Kash and I were at Park Meadows Mall, just shopping around trying to spend a gift card he got for Striderite. Sadly we didn’t find any shoes but we did find this man just hanging out at Baby Gap (of all places)!
Kash wondering who this huge, random man is and why his mom is actin' a fool! (I wish I would have had my real camera with me--this was taken on my phone)
We were on our way out of Baby Gap and I was trying to navigate the world’s largest jogging stroller through the world’s smallest isles when this big man was in my way. His dad said, “watch out J,” and when he turned around I knew right away who it was. You see Blaine might just be the biggest Nuggets fan in the world, resulting in me knowing a thing or two about the Nuggets.

As we got closer I pretty much screamed, “Oh my gosh are you JR Smith???” (Blaine commented when I retold the story, you knew who he was why did you ask? Haha I don’t know, what else are you supposed to say, “What up J!”??) He smiled and was like, “yeah.”  I proceeded to freak out. I mean it’s not every day you run into an NBA player. I told him how big of fan my husband was and asked if I could take his picture. He was super nice about it, considering I was being very loud and probably obnoxious. This is now the point of the story where my excitement wears off and I just get nervous. I started to say random things and couldn’t stop talking. “Okay you have to take a picture with my baby, I mean you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, will you please take a picture with my baby? Oh are you his mom? Nice to meet you! (as I touch her back…what? Don’t touch her Erica!!!) Oh my husband has been cheering for you guys even after the trade he’s just such a big fan” hahahaha

JR was super nice through the whole thing, he even told Kash he liked his hair and gave him a little pat. I then got Kash and just kept saying awkward things on my way out the door like, “sorry to bother you on your day off thank you so much for the picture!” JR’s mom, “It’s not his day off he has a game tonight,” me, “ehh I know my husband told me,” and then I just ran off.

I know what you are all saying, but you are a Jazz fan. I know I know! But the Nuggets are probably me second favorite team except when they play the Jazz, and I'm a big NBA fan. Don’t worry I didn’t tell him I was a Jazz fan—I don’t think things would have gone as smoothly. Overall he was way nicer than I thought he would be considering what the media has said about him from time to time. And luckily for me I showered that day! Hahaha

8 comments:

Karen said...

Favorite post of all time! :) Still SO jealous that you got to meet him!

Lu said...

considering i have known you for 100 years, i can totally picture how this all went down. hahahaha i can't stop laughing!!!!! oh, yeah, GO BULLS!

SassAFrass said...

This awesome and I was picturing you in this story the WHOLE time. I would have been worse and we know it! So props to you and snagging a sweet pic that Kash can savor when he figures out who that man is. LOL

Phaedra said...

Being next to an NBA player makes you go completely crazy!!!! When I met Kyle Korver I totally hyperventilated! The ushers even asked me if I was all right! So embarassing (but exciting).

erica said...

haha oh man Phaedra that's funny! Glad I'm not the only one :)

Bryan + Juli said...

This is the best story ever! hahaha Oh man I can totally imagine how it went down! And I love that he was so nice in real life and you were able to get a pic of Kash with him... Kash will think that's pretty awesome when he's older even if he is a Jazz fan.

blaine said...

Kash won't be a Jazz fan...

Just Julie said...

This is SO cool! I think I would be a total moron if I ever met one. Just walking by Mattie H. a couple times had me actin' a fool :)