Wednesday, May 13, 2009

who doesn't love a good before and after!

I've slowly been trying to improve my craft room/office. It's one of the last rooms in our place that needs some decor help. I've managed to decide on a color scheme, buy a new desk and book shelf, but the existing lamp just wasn't going along with my vision.
I looked and looked for a cute, bright lamp shade and hated everything I saw! Why are patterned lamp shades non-existent or $500? (Target really needs to step up their game and get some cuter lamp shades). Since I hadn't found anything I thought how hard would it be to just make one?!?! The thing is I always say this to myself and it turns out to be a bigger project than intended. But this one actually turned out to be kind of easy

I bought a plain lampshade-don't mind the messy craft table, I'm just a messy crafter! And as Blaine will probably tell you just a messy girl in general...but I digress...
I bought two place mats from Pier 1.I took out the seam because they were too thick the way they were and just used one side of the mat. I traced the lamp, sewed the fabric together and hot clued it to the lampshade. (Sorry I didn't really take step by step pics!) And that's it. It was actually easier than I thought and I'm pretty pleased with the end result. I do need to put some trim on the inside because it looks a little unfinished but that will probably never happen.

Now I need to make one for my bedroom since a cute yellow lampshade is impossible to find!

4 comments:

Karen said...

What a cute lamp! You are sooooooo crafty! I am jealous!

Unknown said...

Can we be neighbors and craft buddies? You amaze me!

SassAFrass said...

GREAT JOB! This looks awesome E!
Glad we are friends

Hillfivesome said...

You crafty person you. Such talent. I'm jealous